Pinterest

For unique Bridal and Prom Accessories click on my website below:

Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9

Sunny, Button, Heaven!

I have thousands of buttons (many of which I could never part with). My husband thinks I am a little OCD with my buttons as they are "catagorised and filed" in accordance with colour, shape and age!
OK. a little obsessive, I admit... but at least I know where they all are when I want to make a button necklace


He took this photo of me in our sunny, button, heaven, garden!

To make your own button necklace, you will need:


  • an assortment of buttons, new, vintage and fabric covered

  • necklace/choker wire with catch

  • florists wire (the finer the better, but strong enough to take a good yank!)


Firstly, lay your choker wire onto a flat surface and play around with the buttons. Decide whether your necklace is going to be a symmetrical or a random lay out. Play around with the buttons until you find the design you like best.



Using the florist wire as thread, "sew" one button onto another and then onto another etc to produce a "stack".

Then taking some more florist wire attach the button to the wire and twist the wire onto the band to where the middle of the next button will lay.
Now you can either use what wire is left to "sew" on the next button or twist a new piece of florist wire to the remaining wire and use that. Repeat this process, until you have all your buttons on the wire. (Use a pair of pliers to squeeze tight, any loose wires that are causing buttons to fall forward, and to turn in any sharp edges towards the buttons back).


I used Cath Kidston Fabric covered buttons in this necklace. You can buy the self cover buttons and cover them with a fabric of your choice.

Voila! Lovvvvvvvvverrrrrly vintage button necklace - a unique piece of jewellery to treasure.

If you can't make one yourself, and can't live without one... you can find them in my Folksy Shop at www.folksy.com/shops/AnnieFloribunda


2 comments: